Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Awkward.

I would consider myself reasonably athletic. Running, jumping, climbing trees (no makeup, though) don't cause me that much difficulty. What I am not, however, is particularly coordinated or graceful. Let's be honest: I'm awkward and clumsy. I usually don't make it entirely around corners and doorframes, instead catching my hip, shoulder, or elbow on said corner and bouncing off. My legs look like someone has been beating me with sticks. I usually have at least one bloodied knuckle or cut on my hands from catching them in doors, stuck between books, falling down. Sometimes I'll be bleeding and have no idea why. Bit disconcerning.

Last week I ran myself over with a book truck (cart for books). It wasn't too bad, except for the part where I was bleeding into my shoe. But since then I have managed to step on my own ankle (in exactly the spot where I am misssing significant pieces of skin) at least five or six times.

We have chairs with attached desks. About every time I stand up I jostle either my desk or my neighbors, usually knocking something off, breaking something, or otherwise causing mayhem. I feel like a bull in a china shop.

So my goal is to learn to dance, somewhere, somehow. Then perhaps I won't be so uncoordinated. Dancers are supposed to be graceful, right? Or else I can just get a dunce cap and (when not hitting it on the tops of doorframes) save myself the embarrsassment of constantly hitting things and looking like an idiot--I'll skip that step, start out looking like a tool and hopefully the clumsiness will be unnecessary...

2 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I am constantly stubbing toes. And shoshana has been dancing for years but she's perpetually bloody. I think dancing just adds a kind of grace to clumsiness... doesn't eliminate it.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Cait said...

Dancers are graceful on stage doing routines they have practiced and practiced and practiced until it's literally just muscle memory. OFf stage, dancers are some of the clumsiest people I have ever known.

However, that should not stop you from learning to dance. Swing dancing is amazingly fun, as are most other kinds of ballroom dance. And the wonderful part? Once you learn how to follow, you don't really have to learn anything else. And it's the lead's job to make sure the follow looks good. If the follow doesn't look good, it's not her fault, it's her partner's. Pretty awesome system.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home