Saturday, July 08, 2006

bring me your tired, your poor, your socially challenged

Current total: 6

Perhaps there is a scent, a pheromone exuded that draws them like mothes to flames. Perhaps there was a sign over our heads, inviting the occasionally dubious residents of the PDRB (People's Democratic Republic of B.) to come talk to us. Last count, six. Since yesterday. Maybe it's just the German, that makes us stick out.

1. "Excuse me, can you take my picture please? In front of the elk?" Okay, legit. A tourist. There are more than one of them, and having strangers photograph you is not unusual.

2. "Can you do me a favor? I just got a wierd phone call and I need to get your opinion on this, clear my head." Yeah, okay, shoot. "So, I have this friend who has a girlfriend, and this friend of mine still has contact to his ex from high school. They're just friends, but the girlfriend is jealous." Uhhuhh.... "So the girlfriend recently found a shoebox of pictures and love letters from the ex, and wants the boyfriend to burn it and not talk to the ex anymore." Errrr (brief conference in German) We think she's overreacting. If they're just friends.... (what are we, advice columnists?).

2.5. Mr. Smile-wave-howareya. Not to unique, except he stared at us for about half a block.

3 & 4. So my friend and I are having a debate. What you say could just change our lives (random guy comes up to us two, seated on one end of a bench). Um, okay (me). So do you floss before or after you brush (him). What did he say? (German, in german) (Attempt to explain flossing in German; limited success). I floss after, if you must know, she says it changes (me). Really? I thought you'd be a before-and-after-girl (him; do I look that uptight? do I detect a double entendre? isn't that a bit personal) (smalltalk: whoareya, whereyoufrom, howdoyoulikeboulder, howlongyabeenhere, whatsfunaroundhere, etc) (enter friend). So I just asked; she flosses after (him, meaning me), she says it changes (meaning German). Oh really? My name's .... (friend, shaking my hand; bald head, rings) (smalltalk: areyoustudents, what'dyoumajorin, yeahhikingisfun). So I'm going to sit down (friend) so scoot down (I don't move; for some reason, friend shakes my hand again). You can sit there (me, pointing to largely empty rest of bench) (friend sits on the--literally--ten square inches of corner. Intro to physical contact. I don't move. Becoming increasingly less friendly). Let's see how long you hold up (me; friend stands up). Are you a punk rocker? (friend, points to German's belt; considering we recently saw a man with purple mowhawk, four inch plarforms, and other articles of adventurous clothing, German looked decidedly whitebread). Let me sit between you (friend). No, you can sit down there (me, pointing at end of bench) (more hand shaking, don't know why). What, you're giving orders? (friend) Come on, I don't think we'll get much from these girls...

5. Scene: Conor's, for the football (read: soccer) match (read: game). Brother and Brother's Friends have left; only I and German remain. Enter: Bearded male, forties.
Stanger: You are having a German Party here?
Me: Er...
Stranger: I have seen you at other games before, yes? I am friends with Till
Me: (sigh of relief: I know Till, from having randomly talked to him in a bar, coincidently) (introductions)
Turns out he is Russian, speaks no German, friends with some Germans I met while watching another match in the same bar. Nice guy, offered us a ride home, didn't need us.

6. So we went dancing, at the Grizzly Rose (great place). I was looking for German, who was fending off the attentions of a slightly short black haired guy, with whom I ended up dancing. Who proceeded to do the onestep (for people who can't manage to twostep) while practically spitting in my ear in an effort to convey the fact that his name was Ivan, he came from Spain, was alone this evening, and found be to be beautiful/a good dancer/whatever else he thought I would like/make me more amenable to his dances. Tried to escape after the first dance, was unsuccessful. Made clear I had a boyfriend (sadly, no, but handy excuse) and refused repeated subsequent offers for uncoordinated swaying. Definately creepy, but as he was hitting up other girls, I don't feel picked out specially except for the fact I was female and not physically attached to a male for the evening.

Addendum:

7. Apparently as German was waiting at the mall to be picked up (by me, so I am no witness), some completely random kid came up and asked her for her cell number, so they could hang out the next day. She wasn't too sorry to inform him she already had a boyfriend and her cell number wouldn't do him much good anyhow, seeing as it's German...

2 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Katie said...

What the hell is the deal with 3&4? I would have gone all volatile. Like "whatthefuckareyoudoinggetthehellawayfromme!" It would have gotten ugly.

So yeah, just hang in there. It's the allure of you two together. It's irresistible.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Cait said...

Oh socially awkward people are fun. I mean funny. I mean, dealing with them sucks at the time, but they make for great stories after the fact.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home